While there’s a lot of debate as to how many steps the average person needs in a day (10,000 seems to be one of the most popular numbers), it’s not necessarily one number or the same number for everyone. It is however, important to move as much as you can each day and walking is one of the most popular methods of exercise that works for a wide variety of people. While it can be hard to increase the amount of steps you take each day (especially if you sit behind a desk all day), there are some things you can do to improve your daily step count.
- Take an early morning or evening walk. An extra 30-minutes walking can add well over a thousand steps to your day.
- Walk to local destinations instead of driving.
- Take the stairs instead of an elevator.
- Avoid drive-thru. Park and walk instead.
- Move around or march at home while doing basic activities like combing hair or brushing teeth.
- Walk when talking on the phone.
- Add notifications to your fitness tracker, phone or computer every hour reminding you to move.
- If you drive, park as far away from your destination as you can. This simple tip can add hundreds of steps to your day.
- Take a stroll during your lunch break. Even 15 minutes is better than nothing.