This Healthy Green Velvet Cake tastes exactly like Red Velvet Cake, only it’s GREEN! It’s super moist, flavorful, and delicious, you’d never know it’s sugar free, low fat, high fiber, and gluten free too.
This is the perfect green Saint Patrick’s Day dessert!
To make this cake, boy oh boy… lemme just say it took A LOT of trial and error. A lot, a lot. *palm to forehead*
Oh, and a ton of spinach lol.
I thought I could copy the Red Velvet Cake recipe from my Naughty or Nice Cookbook, and simply swap a few ingredients to make it green (like the little shortcut/cheater I am), but nope! Exactly five batches in a row turned to complete crap. Well, they weren’t a total waste because they still tasted good, but they were all a horrible greenish brown color. Like green smoothie meets muddy swamp. It’s safe to say none of those recipes will ever be repeated or shared on this blog 😉
I made subtle changes to the recipe over the course of five baking trials. FIVE! By the last trial, the only ingredients that remained the same in quantity were the oat flour, baking powder, and almond milk! Here are some of the changes I made:
- swapped brown rice flour with sorghum flour
- used whole eggs instead of egg whites
- used a mix of spinach + applesauce to replace the beets**
- increased starch by a few tablespoons
- increased salt by ¼ tsp
- decreased erythritol by ¼ cup
- decreased cocoa powder by 2 tbs
- decreased oil by 5 tbs
- omitted cacao butter
- omitted vinegar
**For 4 trials I used fresh spinach. Then I realized, the color in frozen spinach is way more vibrant, so I tried that and it worked! Magic!
I ain’t complaining that I had to eat 4 “failed” batches of cake because they sure tasted good and were healthy enough for breakfast, but dang, am I glad all that recipe testing is over.
This Green Velvet Cake has a beautiful, naturally green hue. No need for the artificial food coloring!
Best of all, it’s good for you. Made with whole grains and zero added sugar, this is a treat you can feel good about eating.
This super moist Healthy Green Velvet Cake is like red velvet cake, only GREEN! Naturally green. Plus, this recipe is sugar free, low fat, high protein, high fiber, and gluten free!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and generously spray two 8″ cake pans with cooking spray. I also lined my pans with parchment paper circles.
- In a stand mixer bowl with beater attachment, add the eggs, erythritol, oil, vanilla extract, and stevia extract.
- In a small blender, add the spinach, applesauce, almond milk, cocoa powder, and food coloring. Blend until smooth.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oat flour, sorghum flour, corn starch, baking powder, and salt.
- Turn the mixer on low and pour in the blender mixture. Increase the mixer speed to medium and slowly add in the dry ingredients. When all is incorporated, whip batter on medium-high speed for 20 seconds (batter should be thin and pourable).
- Pour batter in the prepared pans and bake for ~25 minutes, or until the surface is round and springs back when tapped. Let cakes cool in the pan for ~20 minutes, then flip onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely. Frost the next day with your frosting of choice, then serve and enjoy!
I frosted my cake with Cream Cheese Frosting, but you can use whatever kind you like!
With love and good eats,
Subscribe to the newsletter and get decadent, yet healthy, treats sent straight to your inbox… FREE!
Indulge − no strings attached!